Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Farm Share, Week 2

In our second week of membership in a local farm, the selection increased a bit. This week we took home spinach, tatsoi, arugula and collards (as before) plus radishes, peas and salad mix, all organic.

Since River and I left this morning for Costa Rica and Mark isn’t much of a vegetable eater, we gave our babysitter what she wanted, then gave away the rest on freecycle.

I couldn’t believe the response. At least 10-15 people responded to my free offer within the first hour. The demand for fresh, quality vegetables seems to be there, if only the price could be affordable. Of course, there is something special about knowing that your food was in the ground nearby just hours or days before eating it. I sampled the salad mix and thought it had a sweet, full taste, better than what I usually buy.

I took the peas with me to the airport and enjoyed them in the terminal while waiting for our flight. I bit into the sweet pods, taking in the smooth, young peas together with their crunchy exterior, Looking around at the bowls of processed cereal for sale for $5 and a variety of other processed, expensive, low-quality foods, I felt I was the luckiest person in the airport.

No comments: