Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The sounds of the early morning

I woke up at 6 a.m. this morning. Few lights illuminated my neighboring apartment windows, but plenty of activity was going on nonetheless.

From the back of my apartment, I could hear the call of the nearby mosque, a sound I hear infrequently in Bishkek and miss from my time in Osh.

Bright lights shone through my front window. Due to the construction of the new building across from me, the lights atop the crane now light up my street 24 hours a day.

Looking through the curtains, I saw the bright, pulsating white light of welding. I heard the clink of tools against concrete. I heard the calls of the workers, probably Kyrgyz or Chinese, to each other.

They must be in a hurry to have the construction work going on throughout the night.

No comments: