Saturday, January 16, 2010

Taking a roadtrip with a toddler


Lessons I’m learning from day one of roadtrip with toddler:


Toddler may well be psyched to see the wolves, but he will not last beyond a small fraction of a one hour tour.


Time outs in the crib work well at home. But I am struggling with how to discipline while on the road. Especially while out in public on the road. Instead, I take in many disapproving looks when my toddler doesn’t listen to me and I spend much of the day chasing him.


Singing songs together in the car on the way to a destination is very special quality time.


If naptime doesn’t happen, you are screwed, no matter what you do.


Have a supply of water, snacks and Hot Wheels on hand, at all times.


Having a second room is a huge bonus. If that’s not available, a B&B with an attractive lobby is a good substitute.


Free homebaked goods, hot beverages and a Jacuzzi can soothe the stresses of the roughest day.


DO NOT OVERPLAN. Lower expectations. Yes, we’ll see wolves. But no, I won’t be able to actually listen to anything the tour guide says. Many people have pressed me to slow down my pace in the past. Perhaps my toddler will finally force me to change.


It’s a lot of work, it’s tough to not have somebody to hand responsibility over for a little while here and there, but I’m grateful for my buddy and glad to be creating memories with him.

No comments: