Sunday, September 18, 2005

search for clean water in a land of water

I think I need to start buying bottled water. I thought that a Brita filter was enough, but recently, even after the water has been filtered it comes out grey. This morning I asked Nigora if the water looked strange to her.

“Yes,” she said. “That’s why I collect water here in this bucket and let it sit for a day. Then the dirt falls to the bottom. You can take some water from here.”

Though I have no idea whether or not it’s true, I can’t help recalling my coworker’s statement that the high degree of kidney problems here come from the water. Does anybody know if there is any validity to that?

We lost a 25-year-old employee to kidney problems a few months ago. Just this month, an employee in her early twenties was off work for two weeks for kidney treatment.

No comments: